Lead. Inspire. Achieve.
That's my philosophy and my method for getting the very best from those around me, and I can do the same for YOU!
After three decades of leadership experience, I know what it takes to get the very best from any team! I'm a career Air Force officer, a blogger and author, and a frequent contributor to military newspapers and journals, including Air Force Print News, Armed Forces Journal, and The Military Engineer. I am a contributing author at GeneralLeadership.com, People Development Magazine, I'm also a businessman, founding my own hobby publishing company, Lead the Way Media, in 2014.
I am passionate about inspiring people to be their best and leading organizations to high levels of performance. As an Air Force officer, I handled national portfolios totaling billions of dollars. As a speaker, I've presented on dozens of topics to senior leaders in government, industry, state and federal government. I've also worjed with and worked with international business and government executives and in a dozen countries in Asia, Europe, and the Middle East--I know the global environment and bring that experience to every event!
I've been featured on the US Air Force Academy’s 97.7 FM KAFA’s radio program Character Matters! with Bob Valasquez, “The Catholics Next Door with Greg and Jennifer Willits” program, as well as interviews on Relevant Radio radio and print media. Take a look at my Podcast page at MickeyAddison.com for some samples!
As a senior leader I've served in executive positions at regional Air Force commands, US Air Force Headquarters, and the staff of the Office of the Secretary of Defense. It's been my honor to command thousands of Airmen, and from 2011 to 2013 served as the equivalent of the Vice President for Student Services & Logistics at the Air Force Academy. During my three decades of military service I've led teams as diverse as volunteer organizations, engineering, food service, parks and recreation, security and law enforcement, and IT. I deployed twice to the Middle East, and am a veteran of Operation Southern Watch and Iraqi Freedom. My military decorations include the Legion of Merit, Defense Superior Service Medal, and the Bronze Star. I hold a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering from Texas A&M University, and three Masters degrees: Military Strategy and Operational Art (Air University), Civil Engineering (University of Texas San Antonio), and Resourcing National Strategy (National Defense University).
I can be contacted at Mickey@leadthewaymedia.com
I speak on a variety of leadership and personal development topics. and I'm known as an engaging and inspiring speaker for keynotes, breakouts, and workshops. I will work with you to develop a program that suits your particular needs: personalized and relevant to your organization! Contact me via email at Mickey@LeadTheWayMedia.com, or fill out the form below to get started. You can also book direct at my Calendly page! Prefer to call? You can schedule a call or call my office at 210.960.6087.!
I'm available for:
- Keynotes/Presentations (up to 90 minutes)
- Workshops & Corporate Training
- Team building events
Here’s just a few examples of my programs:
This is my most popular program! People can function in a world of “do’s and don’ts,” but what people really need is a vision of who we want them to be. With that vision people are empowered to reach for something rather than avoiding something. That’s where the “Five Be’s” comes in: it’s a positive vision for a person to “Aim High” so they can reach their goals and be “all they can be” in their work and their life. The “Five Be’s” describe how to “be” a healthy person: Be Proud of Who You Are, Be Free, Be Virtuous, Be Balanced, Be Courageous.
Based on his powerful leadership book, the “Leading Leaders” session is straightforward advice for leaders at all levels on how to be successful through cultivating and deepening relationships. Developed over an almost three decade military career and a lifetime of leading, Colonel Mickey Addison lays out the foundation for character-based leadership. Using foundational principles of Integrity, Respect, Teamwork, Leaders Lead, and Little Things Matter, and illustrated through personal stories and historical anecdotes, this session is entertaining and enlightening!
- “Speed Mentoring” facilitation
Mentoring can be a tremendous benefit to both mentors and mentees. Often a short meeting is sufficient for two people to decide whether there is a future mentor-mentee relationship in their future. Connections made at the Speed Mentoring session can last for years. This Speed Mentoring event is intended to “kickstart” relationships between potential mentors and mentees by providing people to meet in a relaxed, fun environment.
- I can also serve as a Moderator for panel discussions on:
- personal growth
- professional ethics
- national security
- engineering management
- "The 5 Be's for Starting Out" (Lead The Way Media, 2015, ISBN 9780996019323) In a world full of “no” and “don’t”, The 5 Be’s For Starting Out is a positive vision of who to “Be.” Based on a lifetime of mentoring young adults, The 5 Be’s is a roadmap to living a healthy, fulfilling, and successful life! -Be Proud Of Who You Are: Everyone has something to contribute — and so do you! -Be Free: Authentic freedom means having the ability to choose what’s good for you! -Be Virtuous: The virtues are the “guardrails” for success in life! -Be Balanced: Keep your Mind, Body, and Spirit nourished to keep your balance! -Be Courageous: Courage comes in many forms: physical and moral courage — find yours!
- "Leading Leaders" (Blue Mantle Publishing, 2013, ISBN 9780980148954) is straightforward advice for leaders at all levels on how to be successful. Developed over a 26 year military career and a lifetime of leading, Colonel Mickey Addison lays out the foundation for character-based leadership. Illustrated through personal stories and anecdotes, "Leading Leaders" is a must read for anyone who wants to improve their productivity and their character.
- "Leading Leaders: The Workbook" (Blue Mantle Publishing, 2013, ISBN 9780980148961) is a companion to Mickey Addison’s acclaimed work by the same title, but can be used as a stand-alone guide for discussion groups, seminars, and individual study. Thoughtful questions and chapter self-assessments will assist leaders and teams to improve their leadership skills through candid review of both leadership and followership skills. Leading Leaders: The Workbook (Blue Mantle Pres, 2013, 9780980148961). This workbook is even more valuable when used side by side with the book Leading Leaders: Inspiring, Empowering, and Motivating Teams. Drawn from a lifetime of leading in the military, in sports, and in volunteer organizations, Leading Leaders is both an engrossing and interesting way to learn to lead better. Mickey takes leadership lessons from his own career, as well as from historical and contemporary leaders, and creates an engaging, down-to-earth dialogue with the reader.
- "Patio Wisdom" (Lead The Way Media, 2014, ISBN 9780996019309). Welcome to the world of The Patio King! Inside are the musings from Living a Life at Full Speed, where wisdom comes from the School of Hard Knocks. It’s wisdom born of adventure and hardship, joy and pain, victory and defeat…and everything in between. Illustrated with the author’s own photos, and narrated with quips and memories, Patio Wisdom will leaving you in tears and stitches!
- "Mickey's Rules for Leaders" (Lead The Way Media, 2015) ISBN:9780996019347) Developed over career spanning three decades, Colonel Mickey Addison gives leaders a "how to" rule book for leading at any level. The eleven rules in the book are excellent guidelines for relating to other people, correctly prioritizing work, and leading teams to high performance. Learn the secrets of leadership from a leader who's lived it! With Rules like "Don't Spook the Herd" and "The First Report is Usually Wrong", this is not your average handbook!