Mike Ashton was born into poverty on the westside of New York Cities Hell's Kitchen. His parents no where to be found, Michael (age five) and his seven siblings was placed in an Ophanage home on Staten Island. He spent time in foster care where he was the victim of child abuse for over 7 years by the hands of his foster father. At age fifteen, by Michael's request, was transfered to a group home near the South Bronx in New York City. As a teen and while still in high school, Michael ended up homeless and living out of a grey beat up suitcase from the age of sixteen till twenty-one.
Michael had always aspired to live out his childhood dream becoming a police officer since a little boy. His hope of becoming one has been challenged throughout the eighties, as he went from one dead end job to another. Michael, remembering his own childhood, endeavored to persevere and never stopped chasing his dream. On November 1st, 1993, Mike became a Police Officer for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Police Department and gave over 20 years of service to the people of New York City as well as Newark and Jersey City.
He was also a member of the Search/Recovery Team for the Port Authority Police on 09.11.2001 at the World Trade Center in New York City. The lost of 37 fellow Police Officer and close friends who perished that tragic day was the most ever to have to die in the line of duty on one day in Law Enforcement History. Upon request, Michael does share his experience on that tragic day and the many days and years that follow. ****Michael shares his story only through the month of September and October****
His life experiences through his adolesense and in the service of the P.A.P.D. has formed in Mike a compassion for today's youth and the understanding of everyday life struggles for all he interacted with throughout his career. During his years as a Police Officer, Michael came into contact with hundreds of troubled youths going through things he is all too familiar with. Domestic violence, broken homes, single parenting, no family structure, no guidance, drugs issues, anger issues, and negative interactions with law enforcement . He truly understands the duanting pressures that arise when faced with the specture of having to make your way in todays economy and young society as well.
- Mike knows what it's like to be discounted by everyone around you. To run up against challenges that feel insurmountable.
- He shares his personel experiences and teaches audiences the importance of accountability, self esteem and self motivation.
- His stories and lesson cause the type of motivation that sparks teens to success, moves them from complacency into action and excites his audiences of all ages.
- Mike is a dynamic and entertaining speaker who effortlessly captivates his audiences. He touches on topics that so many of us relate to in our everyday lives.
- Michael also has a sought after program in New Jersey for High School Students and College Students, on a topic of Law Enforement (Police) Interaction. The Do's and Don'ts when being stopped by Police Officers. This program is a Positive one and the students get to Role Play with Michael from actual Subject stops and Vehicle Stops. Michael shares his 20 plus years experience as a City Police Officer for both New York and New Jersey.
- Inspirational- Motivational Speaker experience: Six years
- Recently retired Police Officer after serving over twenty years with The Port Authority of New York/New Jersey Police Department in both New York City and Jersey City, Newark, Harrison and Hoboken New Jersey.