"Systematize and Improve the Technical; Adapt and Humanize the Exceptional..."
Need to improve the productivity and effectiveness of your business?
Want to engage your employees or lead your peers?
Desire to motivate and give purpose to those around you?
Let me help....
There's a distinct difference between Leadership and Management and business and organizations need to understand the difference between. Both have their place and one is not necessarily better than the other but they are different.
Management is what we do most of our lives. It's improving the technical, what we already know how to do
â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹Leadership is all the exceptions. It's making people better. It's humanizing the intractable problem and helping people face their challenges, face their problems so they can be part of the solution.
Matthew Harper is a retired 20 year Naval Officer, with a Masters from Harvard, who has worked in Venture Capital, built a veteran business incubator and now provides advice and mentorship to startup businesses as well as being a professional speaker. With extensive crisis and global leadership, management and public speaking experience in addition to having lived on four continents and in 5 countries, he can connect with any audience and provide insightful perspective on the most intractable challenges.
- Master Degree from Harvard Kennedy School, learned Adaptive Leadership and how to define leadership so that, with a little help, everyone can recognize their leadership potential.
- Decorated for leadership after the terrorist attack on USS Cole in Aden Yemen, a speech writer for the 4-Star Commanding General of US Africa Command, an award winning published author on U.S.-Chinese Political, Military and Economic relations and a Masters Degree from the Harvard Kennedy School.
- Founding Program Director of TacticalLaunch Veterans Business Incubator. Built from the ground up curriculum, volunteer mentors and speaker program all to advise Veteran Startups. To date, program companies have raised over $2M in equity and debt.
- Years of speaking and leadership experience that began with joining and then running his high school and college debate teams to representing multiple military commands as their organizational presenter, he can engage, captivate, understand and most importantly connect with audiences from around the world, small groups to auditorium size audiences on the subjects of change leadership and management to working and succeeding in large complex organizations or understanding of how an individual makes it on their own.
- Transitioned into Venture Capital after 20 years of military service. Can talk about the challenges of transitioning out of the military and avoid the typical government contracting or defense contracting type jobs.
Previous speaking events include:
- Beale Air Force Base, Airman Professional Development (21 Jun 2019)
- Enlisted Leadership Foundation, Foundry program, "Crisis Leadership"
- Veteran Entrepreneur Summit 2018, MC for Startup Business Pitch Competition
- University of Minnesota, Department of Military Education, "Leadership Lessons for Junior Oiffcers"
- State of Minnesota Veteran Summit 2018, St. Paul, MN "Honoring Veterans in the Workplace"
- American Legion Post 303 El Cajon, "Crisis Leadership and the USS COLE Bombing"
- UCSD Rady Business School Veteran Ventures: "Veteran Entrepreneurs"
- Accion Business BootCamp, "Access to Capital"
- Veterans Entrepreneur Summit 2017, "Where's the Money?"
- Corporate Alliance, San Diego, Jump Start Summit: "Crisis Leadership"
- International Patrol Craft Conference, Dublin Ireland: "Combined Maritime Forces and Counter Piracy"
- MIT Society of Naval Engineers "USS COLE Terrorist Attack and its Aftermath"
- US Africa Command insight for Ambassadors from 15+ African Countries
- US Africa Command insight for US Ambassadors to sub-Saharan Africa
- US Africa Command insight and overview for Secretary of the Navy
Panel Speaking Events
- Veteran Entrepreneur Summit 2018, "Financing your Business" Panel
- University Club San Diego, Distinguished Speaker Series, "The Impact of Startups"
- Veterans Transition, Corporate Alliance, San Diego
- SD State University ZIP Launchpad, Selection Panel
- SD Business Pitch Competition, Selection Panel