Marielle is an award winning speaker and passionate human being engaged in the complex discovery of how community can contribute to oral health as part of its fabric of caring. She is a change leader and an architect enabling others to build and develop new oral health support systems. Her core belief: oral health is a fundamental right.
Marielle speaks about teeth, oral hygiene and oral health like no one else. She will change your perception about teeth, lead you to re-think your habits and spur you into action in your community.
- Degree: Doctorate in Dental Medicine with honors, University of Montreal, Canada,
- Certificates: Advanced Dental Education, Pankey Institute, USA; Smoking Cessation & Integrated Chronic Diseases Prevention, University of Toronto, Canada; Caries Management by Risk Assessment, University of California, San Francisco; Social Entrepreneurship, Universities of Pennsylvania and Maryland
- Experience: 4 decades of clinical dentistry in Canada and USA in various settings including hospital, clinical teaching hygienists and undergraduate dental students, plus volunteer work in developing countries and with vulnerable populations.
- Entrepreneur: Inventor of Oh'Pal, the little toothbrush that teaches.
- TEDx: Salt Lake City 2018. Shedding a new light on teeth as potential health heroes in a Talk titled "Teeth: Your Body's Early Warning System"
- Semi-Finalist in the Global Health and Innovation Conference Prize, Yale University, April 2016
- Volunteer providing care for vulnerable populations at the People’s Health Clinic in Park City and in Nicaragua.
- Lecturing / Workshops on Leadership and on Caries Management.
- “Prevention: Dentistry’s Legacy for the Future”, J Can Dent Assoc 2010;76:a60
- “Dentists Leaders in Health: Thinking Outside of the Mouth”, co-authored with Dr Ian McConnachie, J Can Dent Assoc 2011;http://jcda.ca/sites/default/files/b157/presenter/index.htm
- “It’s Time for Boot Camp: Promoting Dental Visits by Age 1”, J Can Dent Assoc 2012;78:c124
- “Of Trust, Value and Infants”, Team Work TW–V6N3–Mar2013
- “Changing the Approach to Dental Caries”, DentalCompare, USA, 2013
- Founder and CEO of TeethFirst, a grassroots organization based on Hippocrates' principle that the greatest medicine of all is to teach people how to not need it.
- Weaving Oral Health in the Fabric of Community Since January 2015
- Inviting all health stakeholders in Community to re-think how, where and by whom effective prevention is offered
- Providing daily oral health and hygiene education in elementary schools
- Implementing after lunch supervised flossing and brushing programs in Kindergarten classrooms