After watching companies and clients struggle with ethical dilemmas, Marcy J. Maslov invented a business ethics board game to provide a practice arena for solving real-life business and ethical dilemmas. Marcy is founder and CEO of Empowerment Unlimited Coaching, LLC, a business coaching practice devoted to building strong, ethical leaders and entrepreneurs. She has extensive Fortune 500 and entrepreneurial background that includes implementation of Sarbanes-Oxley programs, creation of corporate ethics courses and forensic accounting. Marcy has lived or worked in over 20 countries, including France, Mexico and Canada, and speaks Spanish fluently. She is a Certified Professional Coactive Coach and CPA (Illinois) and has earned her MBA from Duke University.
Presentations and workshops delivered include:
- Leader vs Staff vs Client View of Ethics – Arizona CPA Society and American Society of Women Accountants
- Positive Value of Ethics – ASWA conference keynote, SHRM, ASTD
- 4-hour Ethics CPE workshops – public workshops for Arizona CPAs and CPA firms
- Demystifying financial statements - Vistage groups
- Using Games in Training - IMA and SCCE
- Unlocking the Positive Value of Ethics - various groups including ADISA, SCCE, IMA, IEEE, ACRP and others
- The Coaches Training Institute 2002
- Duke University 1992
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign 1982
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Business Ethics
- Business Coaching
- Leadership Development
- Business Acumen (understanding financial statements, business strategy and budgeting)
- International Coach Federation
- American Institute of CPAs
- Illinois CPA Society
- Inventors Association of Arizona (Board Member)
- Lifetime member Alpha Kappa Psi Business Fraternity
- Accounting & Financial Women's Alliance (Formerly ASWA) Phoenix Chapter - current chapter president
- Certified Professional Co-Active Coach (ICF recognized)
- CPA - Illinois
- MBA Business Administration (Duke University)
- BS – Accountancy (University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign)
PROFESSIONAL SPEAKING, TEACHING AND FACILITATION: Marcy is an experienced speaker on topics such as business ethics, reading financial statements, business basics, simple budget techniques and using financial statements to make better business decisions. She is also an experienced workshop facilitator and teacher who engages participants actively in her presentations. Marcy uses experiential learning techniques such as game, simulation and role-play of real-world scenarios to customize content to the needs of her audience, making her programs come alive and helping participants understand how to apply key concepts directly.
EXECUTIVE/BUSINESS COACHING: Marcy coaches executives and business leaders who desire to become more effective in their roles and who choose to do so with honesty, integrity and accountability. Marcy’s philosophy is that everyone has the ability to achieve their goals and unlock the doors to their own potential – the toughest part is just getting started! Her coaching style is collaborative. Marcy creates an open and safe environment that supports and motivates her clients to explore their opportunities and actually accomplish desired goals.
ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Marcy’s ability to help her clients comes from more than 20 years in corporate accounting for Fortune 500 companies such as Motorola, Pepsi, Green Giant and 20th Century Fox where she provided financial analysis, strategic planning, process improvements and cost management. In addition to these responsibilities, Marcy participated in implementations of Sarbanes-Oxley internal control programs and created an on-line ethics program to meet federal requirements for ethics compliance programs. Marcy has lived or worked in over 15 countries, giving her a tremendous understanding of cultural diversity. Marcy’s latest project is e-Factor!®, the role-playing business simulation that helps leaders build or rebuild trust, accountability and teamwork in a safe, creative space. Participants of e-Factor!® workshops, presentations and programs practice solving real life business and ethical dilemmas that can and do get in the way of success.
Marcy is bi-lingual, speaking Spanish fluently.
- Entrepreneur – owning and operating a small business successfully for more than seven years.
- Visiting Professor – experienced in teaching graduate and undergraduate level courses in managerial accounting, international accounting, essentials of accounting for non-accountants and advanced accounting.
- Manufacturing controller – overseeing all finance operations for a large multi-national manufacturing operation
- Director of Internal Controls, Worldwide Credit and Receivables, and Import Export for an $8B division of a Fortune 500 multinational organization
- Finance Director for the Canadian operations of a US entertainment company
- International Finance Director responsible for compiling budgets and managing international financial statements for a multinational entertainment organization
- Controller for several foreign locations of US multinational companies.
Companies Marcy has worked for include Motorola, Pepsi, 20th Century Fox and Green Giant. Marcy teaches at DeVry University and Keller Graduate School of Management.
Major accomplishments include:
- Leading manufacturing team to reduce scrap from $8.9M to less than $2M per quarter during the first year of the position.
- Helping coaching clients to increase revenues and profits as much as 50% during the first 90 days of coaching.
- Designing and implementing process improvement programs, costing systems and on-line ethics training programs for key stakeholders.
- Providing simple, easy to understand financial training to non-finance managers.
- Modifying live 4-hour ethics training program to create 1-1/2 hour electronic program for senior executives. 77% of all senior executives completed the electronic program in the first year of implementation.