Dr. Jim Tunney, AKA as the Dean of NFL Referees
Known as “The Dean of NFL Referees” Dr. Jim Tunney is an accomplished speaker having won The Cavett Award, the “Oscar” of professional speaking. It is presented annually to the professional speaker whose career has earned “outstanding credit, respect, honor and admiration in the National Speakers Association and the speaking profession.”
A past president of the National Speakers Association, he is a charter member of its most prestigious group — the CPAE Speaker Hall of Fame — and holds every professional designation of the NSA.
He has worked with major corporations and associations all over the world to build teams, set effective goals, and increase productivity.
Regarded as the “Dean of NFL Referees”, Jim’s 31-year NFL career has earned him a nomination to the Pro Football (NFL) Hall of Fame.
Jim is also an author of such books as Impartial Judgment, Chicken Soup for the Sports Fan’s Soul, and It’s the Will Not the Skill. He has written numerous articles including his weekly newspaper column The Tunney Side of Sports, and shares thoughts on his blog.
- 101 Best of Tunney Side of Sports Columns - It was my Speakers Roundtable colleagues at our 2005 meeting that provided the impetus for these Tunny Side of Sports articles and blogs. I have been writing a weekly newspaper column ever since. At first the column was to be called “On the Tunney Side of the Street”, a play on that old standard “On the Sunny Side of the Street”, you know…”grab your coat, get your hat, leave your worries on the doorstep, life can be…” well, you get the picture. That working title morphed into “On the Tunney Side of Sports.” It is the belief here that sports issues – good/bad/right or wrong can prove to be positive examples for everyday living. The major emphasis of these articles to take sports issues and transform them into positive message to help others lead productive lives. I am confident that you will find a story in here that can make a difference in your personal and/or professional life. Now, it is up t you to make your life more fun, healthier, and more productive. Will you do it?
- Another 101 Best Tunney Side of Sports Columns - Insights and Observations on Personal Value. Forward by Herm Edwards. Watch Jim Tunney and legendary NFL Coach Don Shula discuss the book.
- Impartial Judgment - Offering a unique perspective sure to fascinate, amuse, and inspire, thirty-one year NFL veteran Jim Tunney answers every fan, player and Coach’s question: why would anyone want to be a referee and have to stand there and take that abuse? He has distinguished himself by refereeing three Super Bowl games and being the only NFL official to have refereed back-to-back Super Bowls. Tunney has been on the field with great players like Joe Montana, Dan Marino, John Elway, Fran Tarkenton, Johnny Unitas, Roger Staubach, Joe Namath, Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Thurman Thomas, Mean Joe Green, Conrad Dobler, and Jerry Rice. And he has refereed for great coaches like Bill Walsh, George Halas, John Madden, Tom Landry, and Vince Lombardi. He explains how he started in the game and how it has changed. He takes you onto the field for some of the most famous games in NFL history: The Dallas-Green Bay “Ice Bowl” 12/31/1967. The Dallas-San Francisco NFC championship decided by “The Catch” 1/10/1982. The “final fumble” of the Cleveland-Denver AFC championship game 1/17/1988. The Chicago-Philadelphia divisional “Fog Bowl” 12/31/1988
- It's the Will Not the Skill - Principles and Philosophies of Success As seen through the eyes, mind and heart of Herm Edwards, Head Coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. Jim Tunney, Ed.D., had an exemplary career as a Referee in the NFL. In his thirty-one year career, he officiated in Super Bowls VI, XI, and XII – the first official to be referee in back-to-back Super Bowls. He is actively involved with community youth programs, serving as president of the Jim Tunney Youth foundation. Herm Edwards is a founding board member of JTYF. About the Book In writing about the professional world of Herm Edwards, as an athlete as well as a coach, I owe a debt of gratitude for the cooperation of the Jets and Chiefs media staff and personnel who provided content, pictures and assistance n helping describe the essence of Coach Edwards. Everyone — from the security guard to their owners has only positive things to say about Herm as a person, a leader, and a friend. Dedication This book is dedicated to the parents of Coach Herm Edwards. His father, Herman Sr., a career army master sergeant who died in 1978 always told him, “Son, I can’t give you lots of money or a fancy home, but I can give you a good name. Use it wisely.” Martha, his mother, lives in their California home today and promotes the Edwards code. Book arrives autographed by Jim Tunney and includes a bookmark.
- Pro Football (NFL) Hall Of Fame – Currently Nominated (5th Time) Jim Tunney Wins The Cavett Award Gold Whistle Award – National Association Sport Officials – 1992 All-Madden Team – 1989 Order of the Leather Helmet – NFL Alumni – 2002 Sporting News – Best Official – 1990 Stovall Sports Clinic Man of the Year – 1986 NFL Commissioner’s Officiating Committee- 2000 Emmitt Ashford Community Spirit Award – 1987 Occidental College – Gold Seal Award (Outstanding Alumnus) – 1985 President’s Service Award – Monterey Peninsula College – 2010 Public Official of the Year (Monterey Chamber of Commerce) - 2010 Fairfax High School Hall of Fame (1st Faculty Member Inducted) 2011 Alhambra High School Hall of Fame (1st Year of Inductions) – 1984 Paul Harris Fellow (Rotary) – 1984 The Cavett Award – National Speakers Association -2000CPAE – NSA – Speaker Hall of Fame – 1980 (Year of Induction) Philanthropist of the Year – National Speakers Association – 2007 Ambassador of the Year – Pebble Beach Junior Golf Association – 2009 California Community College Football Hall of Fame – 2012 Multi-Ethnic Sports Hall of Fame – 2012