TRANSFORMATIONAL LEADER ~ AUTHOR ~ TEACHER ~ NON-PROFIT FOUNDER ~ CHEMIST ~ ENTREPRENEUR
I am a formerly obese organic chemist turned nutritionist and weight loss expert. In 1992 I lost 100 pounds and have kept the weight off for over two decades. Today I teach and speak at events all over the United States. I am an internationally acclaimed author of The Science of Skinny: Start Understanding Your Body’s Chemistry and Stop Dieting Forever and The Science of Skinny Cookbook. Woven throughout my books, seminars and classes is a personal message of hope, empowerment, and courage for making lasting lifestyle changes.
My experience and education encompass a broad range of nutrition and healthy cooking disciplines. My life mission is to create a space for change; to inspire, enlighten, educate and motivate people to eat more healthfully.
Since 2003, I have run my own private nutrition counseling practice and have owned several food businesses. I currently serve as an adjunct faculty member in the Nutrition department at The Southwest Institute of Healing Arts in Tempe, Arizona.
In 2007 my husband and I co-founded Processed-Free America, a non-profit organization dedicated to eliminating childhood and adult obesity through nutrition education. In addition to my published books, I have developed an award-winning nutrition curriculum for children, and a certification program for adults to who want to teach the Processed-Free lifestyle to people in their communities.
My weight loss story, books and recipes have been featured numerous times on television, radio, and in print media, including Women’s World Magazine, Quick and Simple Magazine and Obesity Help Magazine. I have appeared on numerous TV and radio shows throughout the U.S. and Canada, including National Public Radio (NPR), The Doctors, Better TV, The List, and The Dr. Steve Show. (archive of media at http://www.processedfreeamerica.org/news-and-press/news-archives).
Prior and simultaneous to my nutrition ventures, I worked as an organic chemist for 19 years in the environmental testing industry—moving up the industry ladder from bench chemist to manager of the Quality Assurance Program for one of the nation’s leading environmental testing laboratories.
Featured Speaker Engagements
• Keynote Speaker, "WE CAN COOK – Women End the Course of AIDS Now " for AIDS Connecticut, Harford, Connecticut in December 2015
• Featured Speaker, Women’s Wellness Forum, Mogollon Health Alliance, Payson, AZ, March 2016, March 2015, and March 2013
• Instructor, "Nutrition through the Ages" at Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, Prescott Yavapai College Chapter, Prescott, AZ, October 2015
• Featured Speaker, National Library of Traditional Medicine Author Forum, Phoenix, AZ, 2013 and 2014
• Instructor, “The Science of Food for Healthy Aging—Tasty Cuisine for Lifelong Health” to members of Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, University of Arizona Chapter, Tucson, AZ, February 19, 2013
• “Empowering Our Youth Into Healthier Lives” Children’s Obesity Conference, Phoenix Arizona, December 6, 2012
• Keynote Speaker: "Instilling Girls with a Positive Body Image", Soroptomist International of San Ramon Valley, “She’s All That” Conference, San Ramon, CA, February 11, 2012
• Conduct nutrition lectures and healthy cooking classes at local grocery stores such as Sprouts Farmer’s Market, Whole Foods Market, Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage and others, 2006 - present.