CJ Scarlet has fulfilled many roles over her lifetime--from roller skating carhop to CEO of a tech company; from U.S. Marine photojournalist hanging out of helicopters to saving lives and putting criminals behind bars for the NC Attorney General's Office; from empowering women as an author to helping them find balance and joy as a life coach; from battling bipolar disorder and a so-called "terminal" illness to powering through every barrier she encountered; from single mom to widowed grandmother.
CJ knows first-hand how violence can destroy lives. A survivor of childhood and teenage sexual assaults, CJ spent years dealing with the emotional aftermath of her experience. After taking her power back, she became an advocate for others who had been victimized, running a child advocacy center and serving as Director of Victims Issues for the North Carolina Attorney General’s Office, where she implemented the nation's first statewide automated victim notification system that was selected as the national model by the US Department of Justice.
An expert in women's issues, and victims’ rights and advocacy, CJ has given speeches and workshops at national and international events; and has appeared on numerous radio and television programs, including MSNBC and NPR. She is the author of The Badass Girl’s Guide: Uncommon Strategies to Outwit Predators and Neptune’s Gift: Discovering Your Inner Ocean.
The former U.S. Marine and forest firefighter holds a B.A. in Political Science from Virginia Wesleyan College, and an interdisciplinary master’s degree in Humanities with an emphasis on Human Violence and graduate certificate in Women’s Studies from Old Dominion University.
Named one of the “Happy 100” people on the planet, CJ’s story is featured in two bestselling books, including Happy for No Reason and Be Invincible.
CJ Scarlet is an engaging and dynamic speaker on the topics of self-empowerment and personal development. Her presentations are ideal for women and girls, people of all ages who want to feel motivated and empowered, LGBTQ and minority individuals (who are at greatest risk of being assaulted), spouse programs, and groups that serve these audiences.
CJ can also share her inspiring story of how she overcame a terminal illness (due to complications from lupus and scleroderma) by following the command of a Tibetan Buddhist lama to “stop feeling sorry for herself and start thinking about the happiness of others.” When CJ took the lama’s words to heart by performing daily acts of kindness, her condition went into remission within 18 months! Today, CJ is happier and healthier than she has been in decades.
Book CJ Scarlet TODAY and make your event memorable and inspiring!
- CEO of Tiger Eye Sensor, which was selected as among the top 10 companies to watch in North Carolina.
- Tarheel of the Week, February 2015
- Ruby Award recipient, Soroptimist International of Raleigh, 2014
- 2012 Women in Business Award, Triangle Business Journal
- YWCA Academy of Women induction, 2011
- Trailblazer of the Year, Greater Women's Business Council, 2011
- Springboard Enterprises Mid-Atlantic Venture Capital Forum, 2000
- Business & Professional Women's Club NE Regional Young Careerist, 1995
- Member of the North Carolina Governor's Advisory Commission on Military Affairs (1994-2000)
- Phi Sigma Alpha Honor Society
- Distinguished Performance Award for Excellence in Journalism, 1982
- Honor Graduate from Marine Corps bootcamp, Parris Island, SC