Chris D. Lewis became Commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) on August 1, 2010, assuming leadership of one of North America’s largest deployed police services. During almost 36 years as a police officer and leader, he amassed a wealth of operational policing experience, particularly in front-line service delivery, various investigative disciplines and tactical operations.
As Commissioner, he oversaw front-line policing, traffic and marine operations, emergency response and specialized and multi-jurisdictional investigations throughout the Province of Ontario, delivered through over 9,000 OPP personnel. He was a supervisor, senior officer and executive for 28 years of his career. Although he retired from the OPP on March 31st, 2014, he continues to lecture on leadership and policing issues, including Indigenous Policing challenges, team building, media relations and communications, across North America. He has written numerous articles on public safety and leadership issues for the a variety of publications and the media He has also written a book on leadership, entitled: Never Stop on a Hill, the profits from which are completely committed to Special Olympics.
Lewis’ leadership experience is wide and varied, including tenures as Deputy Commissioner of OPP Field Operations; Commander of the Investigations Bureau; the Information Technologies Bureau; and the Emergency Management Bureau; as well as the Director of the Criminal Intelligence Service Ontario at the then Ontario Ministry of Solicitor General. He was Regional Commander of the OPP’s East Region; served as Director of the Criminal Investigation Branch; and worked with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to establish and lead the Cornwall Regional Task Force. He currently works for the Canadian Television Network (CTV) and appears regularly on television talk radio news as a Public Safety Analyst and Commentator.
- FBI LEEDA Insighter Magazine January 2017 "Diversity in Leadership" https://cdn.ymaws.com/fbileeda.org/resource/resmgr/docs/insighter/2017/FBI-L_Insighter2017_Q1Jan_FI.pdf
- FBI LEEDA Insighter Magazine article "It's a Me, My, I World" January 2016 https://cdn.ymaws.com/fbileeda.site-ym.com/resource/resmgr/docs/Insighter/2016/FBI-L_Insighter_January2016.pdf
- FBI LEEDA Insighter magazine article August 2015 "Body Worn Cameras for Police Will Be Useful, But Our Expectations Must Be Realistic" https://cdn.ymaws.com/fbileeda.org/resource/resmgr/docs/Insighter/2015/FBI-L_Insighter_2015-Q3-FINA.pdf
- FBI LEEDA Insighter Magazine article "The Effective Use of Social Media By Police Leaders" November 2015 https://cdn.ymaws.com/fbileeda.org/resource/resmgr/docs/Insighter/2015/FBI-L_Insighter_2015Q4_hires.pdf
- FBI LEEDA Insighter Magazine article "We Are Nothing Without Trust" March 2016 https://cdn.ymaws.com/fbileeda.site-ym.com/resource/resmgr/docs/Insighter/2016/FBI-L_Insighter_2016-Q2_FINA.pdf
- FBI LEEDA Insighter Magazine article "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly of Leadership" November 2016 https://cdn.ymaws.com/fbileeda.org/resource/resmgr/INSIGHTER.pdf
- Numerous OpEd Articles on CP24's news website, on a page completely committed to my public safety articles https://www.cp24.com/news/a-view-from-the-top
- "The Thin Blue Line, Then and Now: Mission creep from a veteran cop’s point of view" Walrus Magazine January 2015 https://thewalrus.ca/the-thin-blue-line-then-and-now/
- "The Death Knell for Small-Town Police Departments" Walrus Magazine, March 2015 https://thewalrus.ca/the-death-knell-for-small-town-police-departments/
- Article "Advice from an old guy - Lessons learned from a career in policing" Law Enforcement Today magazine, Aug 11, 2018 https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/advice-old-guy-lessons-learned-career-policing/
- OACP HQ Magazine article "Leadership: We Can't Forget The Basics" Winter 2013/2014 http://mediaedge.imirus.com/Mpowered/imirus.jsp?volume=hq14&issue=1&page=8
- Article in BlueLine Magazine: "Policing aboriginal communities Creating a safe and prosperous environment" Dec. 2012 http://blueline.ca/issues/december_2012
- BlueLine Magazine article: Aboriginal Critical Incidents - A Professional and Measured Response Nov. 2012 http://blueline.ca/issues/november_2012
- IACP Police Chief Magazine "Providing Effective Policing for Aboriginal Communities" Dec. 2011 http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&article_id=2554&issue_id=122011
- IACP Police Chief Magazine article "Policing Aboriginal Critical Incidents" June 2011 http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&article_id=2400&issue_id=62011
- Commander of the Order of Merit of the Police Forces. Only police officer in Canada to have received all 3 levels of the Order of Merit from successive Governors General.
- Police Exemplary Service Medal and Bar.
- Invested into the Order of St. John as Serving Member
- Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal
- Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal
- Ontario Special Olympics Hall of Fame