Amanda McDonough is a skilled motivational speaker, author, and popular actress. She has been a professional speaker and resilience trainer for organizations and companies such as: The US Airforce, Cal Poly Pomona, UC Riverside, Saddle Ranch Church, Diamond Ranch High School, and dozens more! Amanda is described as having an infectiously positive personality, a quick wit, and a great sense of humor! She inspires her audiences to believe in themselves, to overcome their own personal obstacles, and to never give up on their dreams. She is also a popular actress (Freeform's "Switched at Birth," ABC's "Speechless," NBC's "Bad Judge," Google, 7UP, Deaf West/ Pasadena Playhouses "Our Town," etc.) and a published author. Her new book "Ready to be Heard" is the story of how Ms. McDonough (mc-duh-nuh) lost her hearing and found her voice, fought for her independence, and found her purpose. Follow this strong, independent, thought leader and consider her as your speaker at your next event! Preview her speeches, interviews, and acting work at www.amandamcdonoughspeaker.com or learn more about her book at www.readytobeheard.com
Her Story: Amanda McDonough began losing her hearing when she was 4 years old. She hid it from the world for 18 years as her hearing continued to decrease. Then, one day, during her college education she awoke to discover that she had lost it all. Overnight she went from being a person who relied on the hearing she had left for everything from communicating, her college classes, and maintaining relationships; to being both deaf and mute. She couldn't hear, couldn't talk, didn't know how to lip-read, and didn't know sign language. Yet, she managed to motivate herself to overcome her new obstacles, teach herself to talk again, teach herself to lip-read, and finish her college degrees on time! Learn how Amanda transitioned from the hearing world she was raised in to finding her identity and accepting herself as the Deaf woman she is now!
- "Ready to be Heard: How I Lost My Hearing and Found My Voice" available worldwide through Amazon and Barnes and Noble!
- Radio Interview on KCRW's Unfictional with Amanda McDonough entitled "Silence"
- NBC Live News Interviews & Article: "Deaf actress shares communication tips from DeafNation World Expo" with Amanda McDonough
- Author Interview with Amanda McDonough by Marina Raydun
- "They Think I CAN’T, I Know I CAN" Article Written by Amanda McDonough for Hands and Voices
- "Actress Amanda McDonough’s Journey From Deafness To A Loud Voice For Change" Article for Thorn and Vine by Elizabeth VanTassel
- The Silent Grapevine "Exclusive Interview with Amanda McDonough" by Thomsen Young
- The Art of Winning Podcast: "The Resilient Spirit" Live Podcast Interview with Amanda McDonough.
- Newspaper: La Nueva Vos June Edition Article on Amanda McDonough and her new book "Ready to be Heard."