Why You Should Never Listen to AM

By Ron Price

  In my adopted home state of New Mexico, the ongoing question is “red or green” referring to one's preference for chile. For today’s blog, my question is do you listen more to AM or FM. Before you answer I must tell you this has nothing to do with radio and that my hope is you will choose to only listen to FM, never AM. A part of this being human business is t

Click to continue...

 
 

What You Said Isn't What I Saw

By Dave Oakes

  At work, the average person spends 9% of his/her day writing, 16% reading, 30% speaking and 45% listening. Despite the fact that speaking and listening consume a whopping total of 75% of the work day, few people know how to do either effectively.   A study done at U.C.L.A. several years ago found that when you send a message to someone, the meaning is gleaned from three differ

Click to continue...

 
 

The Hero Quest

By Erik Larson

https://spiritualityhealth.com/articles/2018/10/08/your-personal-hero-quest Your Personal Hero Quest HOW TO SOLVE THE DOING VS. BEING PARADOX AND LIVE MORE IN FLOW A bout 4,000 years ago, young Sumerians dutifully copied wedge-shaped symbols that had been pressed into clay tablets with a reed stylus. The tablets they copied recorded a poem about King Gilgamesh, a tyrant who ruled

Click to continue...

 
 

We Are Not Building a Volkswagen

By Matt Dierdorff

        Metaphors shape us in incredibly meaningful ways.  They often serve as a North Star of sorts, helping us chart a significant course.  They unlock and make accessible complex concepts. Unfortunately, when we embrace faulty metaphors we get off track and misunderstand important ideas.  So radically shaped by a particularly misguiding mental image, it is onl

Click to continue...

 
 

Mini-Bars in Cubicles & Horse Racing in the Break Room?

By Matt Dierdorff

        We are not without dysfunction. In light of many variables involved in our nature/nurture make-up we lean toward destructive encounters. Some of these dysfunctions have become more formalized than others and are worked out in official 12-step groups, with Alcoholics Anonymous being the pioneer in this field. They have been joined by those who chronically abuse other sub

Click to continue...

 
 

Finding Mission in Omission

By Matt Dierdorff

Sculpting is the art of removing what is unnecessary to reveal what is profound. The white space in a painting or photograph gives depth to the subject. It is the "rest" in the midst of the musical composition that allows the melody to stand out. In leadership it is often the act ofomission which gives rise to meaningful mission. Not only are there important things we simply ca

Click to continue...

 
 

Trusting the Process, or "When the Director Takes Their Seat"

By Matt Dierdorff

        I believe that if we only search for leadership truths in resources from the leadership and personal improvement section of the bookstore, we deprive ourselves of insight which exist beyond that realm. Innovative leadership calls us to always have our antenna up for approaches, metaphors and models in arenas that in no way purport themselves to be leadership laboratorie

Click to continue...

 
 

Metronome: The Value of Cadence in a Leader's Life

By Matt Dierdorff

Email. Dishes. Soccer Games. Laundry. Grief. New friends. Tailgates. Voicemail. Conflict. Homework. Lawncare. Parent-teach conferences. Old friends. Twitter. Bills. Deadlines. Instagram. Dinner. Meetings. Cardio. Online course. Paperwork. Doctor’s Appointment. Performance Review. More Meetings. Science Project. Business Presentation.         Our lives often resemble ts

Click to continue...

 
 

Managing Leaders: Dealing with Dysfunctional Team Members

By Matt Dierdorff

I was recently in conversation with a friend who is in the midst of some conflict within their management position. In order to better manage this conflict they’ve chosen to bring someone in to serve in a coaching/consultant capacity. This friend shared the frustration they experienced as this third party, instead of confronting the toxic realities of some of the team members, instead asked

Click to continue...

 
 

Creating Environments for Growth: The Reading, Writing & 'Rithmetic of Professional Development

By Matt Dierdorff

     In 1907 Will Cobb and Gus Edwards laid out their 3 “R’s” of Education in the lyrics of their catchy little ditty “School Days”, when they spoke of “Reading, Writing & ‘Rithmetic”. In addition to playing fast and loose with alliteration, they reminded us that there are core concepts at the heart of learning. As life beyond

Click to continue...