When asked how he earned the moniker ‘the Storytelling MD,’ Michael Davis replies, “Although I greatly admire the work doctors do to earn their MD. I took a different route. I didn’t go to school for 8, 10 or 12 years. I have studied public speaking and storytelling skills since 2001. Also, I was born with the initials MD. Combine the two, and you get ‘The Storytelling MD’.”
Michael’s passion for storytelling and public speaking was not obvious early in his life. As a child, he was shy and reserved – not an indication he’d grow up to be a professional public speaker and presentation skills coach.
This is especially surprising because of an incident in first grade that caused so much embarrassment he became afraid of talking to others in public. That experience carried over into adulthood.
In 1994, as a young financial planner, his seminars about money were poorly delivered. He was given an ultimatum - become a better presenter, or you're fired! This stirred up all of his anxieties about public speaking.
That led him to join Toastmasters International. There he learned to control his nerves. He also discovered that crafting and delivering impactful presentations is a learnable and repeatable skill.
In the years that followed, he became a voracious student of public speaking and storytelling. He discovered that he loves to help others improve these skills. That discovery inspired him to start the company Speaking CPR.
He provides two specific types of presentation skills training:
1) Sell More With Stories: 7 Steps to Stories That Hold Audiences in Rapt Attention, Gain Their Trust and Compel Them to Act on Your Message
2) Stand Up, Stand OUT!: 5 Steps to Craft and Deliver a Presentation That Inspires, Entertains, and Motivates Others
To keep abreast of new ideas from the speaking world, he works closely with World Champion and Hall of Fame speakers. He also studies Hollywood screenwriters and professional comics to incorporate different perspectives into his presentation skills training. Because of his dedication to the craft, Michael is sought by speakers all over the world.
In 2015, Michael began coaching speakers in the Ted X Cincinnati events. He has also successfully coached speakers in Toastmasters International World Championship of Public Speaking contest.
He has produced audio programs, is a contributing author to three public speaking books, and presents public speaking and storytelling skills workshops. His book, ‘THE Book on Storytelling’ was released in 2015. His Kindle book series, 'Sell More With Stories' is being released throughout the summer of 2016.
Michael is a candidate member of the National Speakers Association (Kentucky Chapter) and a member of Toastmasters International.
If you need a speech coach, workshop leader, keynote speaker or emcee, contact Michael by clicking the CHECK AVAILABILTY tab below.
- Sell More With Stories. Want to double or triple sales of your product, service or idea? In this series,'Sell More With Stories,' you’ll meet Nicole, a financial advisor struggling to build her practice. A chance meeting with David Michaels, a successful sales professional and coach, opens her eyes to a new way of selling. You’ll read how Nicole learns to quickly connect with prospective clients and encourage them to engage in more meetings that ultimately lead to closing more business. To take your first step to double or triple your sales, invest in the 'Sell More With Stories' series.
- "THE Book on Storytelling" is THE book to develop and deliver stories that can increase your number of clients and create a more efficient sales cycle for you. This step-by-step guide teaches you how to quickly gain the attention of others, keep their interest and compel them to take action on your message.
- Contributing author to the Amazon #1 Best Selling Book, World Class Speaking in Action!
- Contributing author to the networking book, Mastering Your Connections
- Contributing author to the Book, Go Ahead and Laugh: A Serious Guide to Humor