With the fundamental belief that God uses ordinary people to accomplish extraordinary things, Kevin Wayne Johnson is an internationally certified JOHN MAXWELL TEAM mentor, coach, teacher and trainer. His passion is reflected through his national best-selling book series (Give God the Glory!), that earned 19 literary awards from 2001 to present, all published through his Christian-based publishing company – Writing for the Lord Ministries, as a former radio and television host, and in several leadership positions within the local church, the Christian publishing industry, and the National Association of the Church of God (Anderson, Indiana).
Effective January 1, 2014, Johnson serves as Senior Pastor, Accokeek First Church of God, Accokeek, MD. Prior to this assignment, he served on the Purpose Management Team and as Pastor of Discipleship at Celebration Church, Columbia, Maryland (June 2010-December 2013), leading eight thriving ministries including WIN Institute (Bible College). Pastor Johnson also serves as Secretary, National Association of the Church of God Men’s Ministry (2009 to present). Johnson's teaching, mentoring and coaching extends worldwide to include Turks and Caicos Islands, United Kingdom, Kenya, Africa, Haiti and Brazil.
Johnson is a professional in government as well as private industry. For 30 years, he has performed successfully in numerous middle and senior-level positions in the areas of workforce development, training, organizational change, acquisition/procurement, customer service, client relationships, and program management, to include the Department of Defense, Department of the Treasury, the Government of the District of Columbia, Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts, Department of the Army, Defense Logistics Agency, and in the private sector at Vivendi Universal and Reuters America. He has testified before the United States House of Representatives Committee on Small Business, and has prepared testimony that was presented before the District of Columbia Committee on Government Operations. Johnson is a graduate of the U.S. Department of Agriculture Graduate School’s Executive Potential Program (1996). During this program, he assisted the Office of Federal Procurement Policy with several procurement reform initiatives that were tied to the National Performance Review under the Clinton Administration. In 1999, he was awarded the distinction of “Fellow” by the National Contract Management Association Board of Directors.
Johnson maintains an active involvement in community service and retains membership in several professional and civic organizations to include Virginia Commonwealth University Alumni Association and African-American Alumni Council, serving on the School of Business Board of Directors from 1994 to 1996, the African-American Federal Executives Association, the Christian Small Publishers Association, and the Autism Society of America, Howard County, Maryland Chapter.
Johnson is the eldest son of Ernest and the late Adele Johnson. He attended and graduated from the Richmond Public School system and Virginia Commonwealth University earning a B.S. degree in Business Administration and Management/Economics/Finance. He also completed course work towards a MBA degree at Marymount University and the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. In 2002, Johnson graduated from the True Disciple Ministries Bible Institute, Somerville, New Jersey, earning three Church Ministries Certifications through ETA, Wheaton, Illinois. Johnson lives in Clarksville, Maryland, with his wife and three teenaged sons, Kevin, Christopher, and Cameron.
- Book 2 – Called to be Light in the Workplace ISBN: 978-0-9705902-1-3 ©2003 $14.95 Called to be Light in the Workplace is the second book in this series of nine. This book challenges its readers to be ‘light’ on their respective job(s) in each of the three phases of career progression: (1) Entry-level (trainee or intern), (2) journey-man level (middle manager), and (3) senior level (executive or mentor). God’s Word ministers about how to encourage others at work and influence positive change in the midst of dysfunctional places of employment. Through the lives of Jesus, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Evangelist Billy Graham, Dr. Ben Carson, and many other recognizable and unrecognizable names, excellence in their jobs has raised the level of productivity of others. It is systematically divided into three parts, with three chapters each. Supported by the Scriptures throughout, the central theme of each chapter focuses on specific ways to let our ‘light’ shine and to Give God the Glory! while at work everyday. How great is God? To know how great God is, watch Him at work on our respective jobs. As with all books in the Give God the Glory! series, it concludes with a family prayer to reinforce the contents within the books’ nine chapters. Readers are encouraged to refer to the Give God the Glory! series as collections of prayers, daily prayer books, and prayer books. Prayer shall change our lives for the better as we learn how to apply God’s Word to our everyday lives. It can be used as a daily prayer book to learn why and how do I pray.
- Book 3 – Let Your Light So Shine (a devotional and gift book) ISBN: 978-0-9752572-9-6 ©2004 $7.95 Light (phos) means “to give light.” It is that which enables us to see (able to clearly distinguish between right and wrong). It is the intellectual, moral, and spiritual element by which we may see (Matthew 6:23). Jesus Christ is the light of the world (John 1:9) and the ‘children of light’ is a term for true disciple (Luke 16:8 and Ephesians 1:8). God is the source of this light as the sun is the other. Through our light, we make God visible to all men and demonstrate that His love transcends all that is wrong with this world. Light defines the very essence of the children of God. It is a word that is used throughout The Holy Bible 264 times! It is characterized as an element that: Illuminates, Shines, Exposes and expels darkness, Projects and extends brightness, Causes one to see, Radiates, and Reveals. Light is described as an element that represents: • Radiance (Matthew 7:12) • Spiritual awareness and right living (1 John 1:7) • A characteristic of God (Psalm 27:1) • The opposite of darkness (Genesis 1:3-4) • Illuminates (Matthew 6:22) • Leads the way (Micah 7:8), and • The Glory of God (1 Timothy 6:16). The biblical message, biblical preaching, and biblical teaching in this devotional/gift book come from Old Testament and New Testament Scriptures. Matthew 5:13-16 serves as biblical study and, in essence, the biblical thought for the day relative to the significance of the word “light.” Discover the purpose drive life and rediscovering the kingdom of God are keys to this best-selling devotional and gift book. Now in its third printing, and selling strong, this devotional and gift book, serves as a companion to book 2: Called to be Light in the Workplace.
- Book 4 – The Godly Family Life ISBN: 978-0-9705902-3-7 ©2005 $13.00 Book #4 in the series is a detailed analysis of what the Bible teaches and instructs concerning the roles of the father, mother and children, despite man’s intention to alter God’s plan for the family. This book continues in the tradition of the Give God the Glory! books and devotionals, with a unique focus on the biblical purpose and role of the father, mother, and child(ren). In this book, readers will clearly understand that the man is the foundation of the family, the family is the foundation of the church, and the church is the foundation of our nation. We will glorify God through the family unit and understand our specific roles within the family structure as God intended. To this end, our Heavenly Father is glorified as we, His earthen vessels, demonstrate to the world the beauty and fulfillment of The Godly Family Life. Considered a best-seller Christian book, The Godly Family Life is a ministry tool for men and women to better understand the ordained institution of “family.” Choosing a Christian book should be a means to develop and maintain a Godly family life, thus, becoming a case for faith. The faith lessons contained within the pages of these faith books, The Godly Family Life, and the devotional companion, Your Role in Your Family, are explored in detail and explain the roles of the man, woman, and children based upon God’s Word. Every man’s battle must be fertilized with the Word of God. Woman of faith, women for faith and woman faith are exemplified throughout chapters fifteen through twenty. The power of a praying wife is personified. Likewise, bringing up boys is an essential teaching tool found within its contents. Parenting with a purpose, parenting with purpose and the purpose driven life are manifested in our lives when we apply the Biblical principles and answer the thought-provoking questions that are found at the end of each chapter. Saving your marriage before it starts is a fundamental Christian principle.
- Book 5 – Your Role in Your Family (a devotional and gift book) ISBN: 978-0-9705902-4-4 ©2006 $7.95 The Give God the Glory! series of books and devotionals continues with book #5. A companion gift book and devotional to book #4 in the series, The Godly Family Life, Your Role in Your Family offers greater detail on the Biblical significance of the family as God intended in the beginning. The Godly Family Life provided a detailed analysis of what the Bible teaches and instructs concerning the roles of the father, mother and children despite man’s intention to alter God’s plan for the family. While continuing in the tradition of the Give God the Glory! books and devotionals, it offers a unique focus on the biblical purpose and role of the father, mother, and child(ren). In this gift and devotional book, Your Role in Your Family will help its readers to clearly understand that the man is the foundation of the family, the family is the foundation of the church, and the church is the foundation of our nation. We will glorify God through the family unit and understand our specific roles within the family structure as God intended. To this end, our Heavenly Father is glorified as we, His earthen vessels, demonstrate to the world the beauty and fulfillment of The Godly Family Life. ‘Family’ is referenced 123 times in The Holy Bible. To this end, the 56-page devotional will enlighten its readers through these five chapters: 1. The role and purpose of the Godly Family 2. The role and purpose of man 3. The role and purpose of woman 4. The role and purpose of children 5. God’s plan for His family. When purchasing in a Christian bookstore or through a plethora of Christian bookstores, Your Role in Your Family, a gift/devotional book, will be a blessing in your life. Good Christian books are foundational to our overall growth and development and add value to our lives. To find Christian books, or those who sell Christian books, these Godly items make an excellent gift for your loved one’s who are in pursuit of God. The grace of God is sufficient at all times and we are safe in the arms of God. It is also an excellent gift, intended to replace the standard greeting card, for family and friends that desire to read a shorter version of The Godly Family Life.
- Book 6 – STUDY GUIDE: Know God and Do the Will of God Concerning Your Life ISBN: 978-0-9705902-2-0 ©2008 $15.00 Essential to your Christian curriculum, this study guide redefines the core message of the first book in the Give God the Glory! series: Know God (mental) and Do the Will of God (action) Concerning Your Life. Systematically divided into two parts with three chapters each, this STUDY GUIDE navigates students, teachers, church leaders, pastors, bishops, librarians, book clubs, Bible scholars, seminaries, colleges & universities, and readers through an in-depth Bible study to broaden their knowledge of God’s Word and to develop a closer walk with Him. The purpose of this Study Guide is so that the world may know, to demonstrate the power of positive thinking, walking in His steps, and to understand the principles of Christian living. Walking in the spirit and spiritual leadership are key components that are found within the pages of our new spiritual books. Amongst the plethora of best-selling spiritual books, this Study Guide brings forth new meaning to the initial book (2001) in the Give God the Glory! series (Know God the Do the Will of God Concerning Your Life). Reading and teaching from this Christian resource are topics such as the Christian life profile, the Christian family, the Christian experience, living Christian, how to be a contagious Christian, Christian education, your Christian impact on others, Christian references, and Christian praise and worship. Categorized as the Christian faith book, it focuses on teaching Christian principles, extracted from the Word of God, for the purpose of helping us to Know God and to do His Will concerning our lives. Prayerfully, readers will be encouraged to explore the contents of their Bible through the year and will learn the importance of how to get into the Bible regularly. This will draw us closer to His Word through an understanding of Bible truth and of the promises of God in the Bible. This Study Guide is an excellent resource for your church bookshop, church shops, and outstanding church gifts, church items, church resource, and church literature. It is considered by many in the publishing industry as a great church book, amongst the many church books, as well as excellent Bible based teaching for your church library. This church gift addresses church foundation, particularly in chapter three that addresses spiritual gifts. Through small groups, it is a great resource for weekend Bible study. Your walk through the Bible in a year, Bible thought of the day, daily Bible Scriptures, and daily walk through the Bible programs can be monitored and evaluated based upon your growth and development relative to the Holy Bible and study with your church family and friends. Christ is preeminent throughout this Study Guide. For example, readers learn that Christians must make a case for Christ, accurately state the case of Christ, reveal the passion of Christ, understand why to live is Christ, and utilize and recommend this Study Guide as a case for Christ book. Through diligent study of the six chapters of this Study Guide, readers will ultimately learn, and subsequently teach others, that a life in the Word is our key to success. Other key themes that reverberate from its pages include life without fear, living a life you always wanted, learning to live a new way life, and finding the cure for the common life. Yes, life in tough, but don’t waste your life by missing out on God’s life-changing Word.
- Book 7 – The Power in the Local Church ISBN: 978-0-9705902-5-1 ©2010 $19.95 The “Glory” of God represents His divine qualities. They are revealed through His beauty, brightness, splendor, and radiance as well as His visible revelation of Himself. A fundamental belief in God is manifested individually, and corporately, through the local church. The local church represents a gathering place where any number of souls are called together and united in one vow, for divine worship, where the pure Word is preached, Godly living is taught, based upon The Holy Bible, as given by the head of the church – The Lord Jesus Christ. Further, we will discover that the local church serves three primary purposes: (1) It represents the body of believers who are saved by or because of their relationship with Jesus Christ (Body of Christ), (2) It is comprised of those who are assembled together by their bounds of habitation (the local church), and (3) We are the Bride of Christ (the local church is charged to teach its members how to live out the principles contained within the pages of The Holy Bible – God’s Word). Kevin Wayne Johnson continues with his simple and systematic writing style to clearly demonstrate The Power in the Local Church within three parts and nine chapters. Part I – What is the Church? – establishes that the local church is revealed in Matthew 16:18 and cannot be destroyed by anyone who chooses to come against its message or existence. Part II – What is My Role in the Local Church? – examines the critical importance of reconciling others to Christ as His ambassadors (2 Corinthians 5:18-20). These actions are manifested through service to others and understanding our specific roles within the confines of the local church. Part III – How Do I Glorify God by Fulfilling My Role in the Local Church? – is accomplished through our good works, togetherness (unity), and by “staying in your lane” through the twenty spiritual gifts that God gives us to compliment, in lieu of compete, other gifts within the Body of Christ and in the local church. We are instructed by God’s Word to assemble ourselves together (Hebrews 10:24-25) for the purpose of comforting one another, to promote good works, and to demonstrate love and affection to everyone within our sphere of influence. It is through our good works that God is glorified (Matthew 5:16). Then, The Power in the Local Church is personified through us that represent Him in the earth.
- Book 8 – Know God and Do the Will of God Concerning Your Life (REVISED EDITION) ISBN: 978-0-9705902-6-8 ©2011 $10.99 Book #1 in the Give God the Glory! series challenges its readers to desire a closer relationship with God. In doing so, our connection to, and relationship with, Him unleashes the power that is needed to fulfill one’s divine purpose. This book, now in its fifth printing, shares several important messages regarding worship including how to be a praise and worship leader, praise and worship and is ranked amongst the top worship books in its category. It is written for the Christian and non-Christian alike. Author, teacher, and ministry leader Kevin Wayne Johnson enthusiastically embraces God’s Word for his life and, through the words of his subtitle, encourages his readers to Know God and Do the Will of God as it relates to their lives. Reading this powerful and life changing book will answer the reader's specific questions or concerns such as "Lord heal my hurt," "Lord I want to be whole," "How great are you Lord," and "Lord heal my hurts." This book is systematically divided into two parts, with three chapters each. Throughout the 163 pages, readers will learn that you have potential, you have what it takes, He did this for you and He did this just for you. That is, God loves us so much that He gave His son Jesus to ensure our victory in this world. Supported by the Scriptures throughout, the central theme of each chapter focuses on specific biblical principles that challenge and encourage each of us to Give God the Glory!
- Book 9 – Called to be Light in the Workplace – A Workbook ISBN: 978-0-9705902-7-5 ©2013 $15.00 Called to be Light in the Workplace – A Workbook is the revised and expanded version of the second book (2003) in this series. This workbook challenges its readers to be ‘light’ on their respective job(s) in each of the three phases of career progression: (1) Entry-level (trainee or intern), (2) journey-man level (middle manager), and (3) senior level (executive or mentor). God’s Word ministers about how to encourage others at work and influence positive change in the midst of dysfunctional places of employment. Through the lives of Jesus, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Evangelist Billy Graham, Dr. Ben Carson, and many other recognizable and unrecognizable names, excellence in their jobs has raised the level of productivity of others. It is systematically divided into three parts, with three chapters each. Supported by the Scriptures throughout, the central theme of each chapter focuses on specific ways to let our ‘light’ shine and to Give God the Glory! while at work each day.
- Multiple plaques and letters of appreciation for keynotes, guest speaker or preacher, seminars and workshops, since 2001.
- 2014 - African American Author's Expo Award, August 2014
- 2013 - African American Author's Expo Award, August 2013
- 2013 - Christian Literary Award, Reader's Choice Award for Christian Living Category, Joy & Company, October 2013
- 2010 - International Book Award, Finalist: Religion (Christianity), STUDY GUIDE, www.internationalbooksawards.com
- 2010 - S'Indie Awards, AspiComm Media, The Godly Family Life a. Spiritual/Inspirational Book of the Year Award b. TRAILBLAZER Award
- 2009 - S'Indie Awards, AspiComm Media, Best Non-Fiction Book
- 2007 - National Best Book Awards, Finalist: Religion (Christianity), STUDY GUIDE, USA Book Bews
- 2007 - Book Expo America, African American Pavilion, Religious Publisher of the Year, Amber Communications Group, Inc, May 2007
- 2006 - Book Expo America, African American Pavilion, Gospel Publisher of the Year, Amber Communications Group, Inc., May 2006
- 2006 - Independent Voice Award, Capital BookFest, Largo, Maryland, October 2006
- 2004 - Heaven 1580AM Radio "Book Bytes" Award, Called to be Light in the Workplace, May 2004
- 2003/2004 - Disilgold Soul Literary Review Magazine Awards, "5 Stars!" The DLNA YOUnity Guild Award
- 2003 - C&B Distributors Inspirational Author of the Year Award
- 2001 - Best Book Christian Non-Fiction Award, The Sistah Circle Book Club Independent Author Awards, May 2002, Know God and Do the Will of God Concerning Your Life