As a keynote speaker, leadership consultant, and MBA professor, Karin helps leaders improve business results by building deeper trust and connection with their teams.
A former Verizon Wireless executive, she has over two decades of experience in sales, marketing, customer service, and human resources. A few highlights from her time at Verizon include:
• Developing a sales team (1.5B in Revenue) that led the nation in store sales to the small and medium business space.
• Transforming customer service outsourcing (10K employee, 8K calls per month) by building strong cultures that deliver positive customer experiences.
Her award-winning blog, Let’s Grow Leaders, has grown into a highly interactive, International community, and was recently recognized as the 8th best leadership blog in the world, and in the Top 10 Leadership Blogs Based on engagement. She speaks Internationally on trust and connection, and is recognized as a Top 100 Thought Leader in Trustworthy Business Behavior by Trust Across America, Mulltiplier of the Year by the Wiseman Group, and recommended by Inc. in their list of 100 Great Leadership Speakers For Your Next Conference, as well as on the America Management Associations list of 2015 Leaders to watch. Her first book, Overcoming an Imperfect Boss, is available on Amazon. Her latest book, Winning Well: A Manager's Guide to Getting Results-- Without Losing Your Soul was just published by AMACOM.
Karin's work is based on her 20+ years of experience at Verizon where she held executive positions in HR, Leadership Development, Sales, Marketing, and Customer Service. She most recently served as Executive Director of the Strategic Partnership Channel at Verizon Wireless where she transformed customer service outsourcing, working with companies and call centers to build strong cultures that deliver positive customer experiences. Her high-trust, high-collaboration approach drove substantial improvement across the portfolio, with centers performing at parity or above internal centers.
Prior to that she led a Verizon Wireless sales team (2200 employees), leading the nation in store sales to the small and medium business space. Karin’s consulting takes a comprehensive approach to developing confident, competent, and creative front-line teams.
Karin has a BA in Communication from Wake Forest University, an MA from Towson University in Organizational Communication, and additional graduate work at the University of Maryland, where she currently teaches in the MBA and Executive Development programs. Karin lives outside of Washington, DC. She knows the long road of the marathon runner and the joy of being a mom raising emerging leaders.
- Want a better relationship with your boss, but don't know where to start? Are you working to be the best "boss" possible, but having trouble making deeper connection? Do you feel stuck in the middle trying to please a boss while being a good leader for your team? Most people leave the magic of what could be a career-changing relationship with their boss untapped. They follow traditional boss-subordinate protocol: say little, don’t rock the boat, and stay out of the way. This outstanding guide provides a practical step-by-step approach to the most challenging bosses and scenarios (e.g. dealing with a moody, disengaged boss, or jerky boss; getting your boss to trust you; persuading your boss to your point of view; finding out where you really stand). The assessment tools and exercises help leaders on both sides of the relationship to communicate their opportunities and goals, and to develop specific strategies for improving their relationship. The practical advice experienced executive, Karin Hurt shares in Overcoming an Imperfect Boss is a must read for leaders yearning to make a bigger impact in their career. This book will help you become the boss you wish you had.
- Karin Hurt on Speaking the Truth. Free Think Aha ebook.
- Winning Well A Manager’s Guide to Getting Results—Without Losing Your Soul Karin Hurt and David Dye It can feel like a rigged game. Executives set aggressive, game-changing goals, so managers drive their teams to burnout trying to deliver. Or, employees seek connection and support, so managers focus on relationships…and fail to make the numbers. The fallout is stress, frustration, and disengagement, and not just among team members—two-thirds of managers report being disengaged. To succeed, managers cannot choose between results and relationships. They need both: they must get people to achieve while creating an environment that makes them truly want to. Winning Well offers managers a quick, practical action plan—complete with examples, stories, and online assessments. They will learn how to: • Stamp out the corrosive win-at-all-costs mentality • Focus on the game, not just the score • Reinforce behaviors that produce results • Sustain energy and momentum • Correct poor performance without drama • Build productive relationships • Be the boss people want to work for Today’s hypercompetitive economy has created tense, overextended workplaces. Keep it productive, rewarding, and even fun with this one-stop success kit. Karin Hurt (Baltimore, MD) is a top leadership consultant and CEO of Let’s Grow Leaders. A former Verizon Wireless executive, she was named to Inc. Magazine’s list of great leadership speakers. David Dye (Denver, CO) is a former nonprofit executive, elected official, and president of Trailblaze, Inc., a leadership training and consulting firm.
- Inc.'s 100 Great Leadership Speakers For Your Next Conference
- Trust Across America: Top 100 Thought Leaders in Trusted Business Behavior
- Top 10 Leadership Sites (based on engagement)
- Wiseman Group's Multiplier of the Year