“Joan Michelson brings an engaging style and deep expertise ....both entertaining and enlightening.”
Joel Makower, Executive Editor, GreenBiz.com
Joan Bryna Michelson, MBA is an award-winning, creative business and communications leader and engaging public speaker who is Founder and CEO of Green Connections Media™, an innovative media and consulting firm focused on sustainability and clean-tech and how to leverage it. She is also host of the firm’s flagship radio show-podcast-video series, Green Connections Radio™ - chosen as one of the top six podcasts by USA Today, especially for business travelers.
As a dynamic, witty and inspiring keynote speaker, host or moderator, Joan’s sessions are consistently rated the “most valuable” and “one of the highlights.”
She brings to her presentations lessons learned from her interview with high-performing leaders and innovators across sectors on her top-rated podcast series. These include C-level executives such as: the former head of the National Science Foundation; the Chief Technology Officer of Xerox; the Chief Sustainability Officers of several Fortune 500 companies including MGM Resorts, Dell, Facebook, Whole Foods and Campbell Soup; the former CEO of Chrysler divisions; and highly successful entrepreneurs, authors and journalists – thought leaders.
Joan has a Huffington Post blog, and has been published in TheAtlantic.com, The Washington Post, The New Economy, Life & Style, LinkedIn, Career2.0, Greenbiz.com and WTOP.com, where she has also been on-air (largest radio station in the U.S. by sales). Top broadcast media she has worked with include: CBS “60 Minutes,” ABC News, and NBC. Her marketing work has helped generate millions in revenue and branding for Fortune 500 companies, small businesses, government agencies and non-profits, such as American Express, Deloitte and Chrysler.
Let Joan engage your audience, bringing out the best in other speakers and panelists and asking the key questions. Her panels have included power brokers such as: presidential advisor David Gergen, National Journal Editor Ron Brownstein, Newsweek’s Eleanor Clift, White House Correspondents from The Washington Post, top investor Nancy Pfund, former Dept. of Energy Executive Dr. Cheryl Martin, and senior executives from Dell, SunPower, and many others. (Video and bio links below)
A dynamic, practical and inspiring speaker, Joan has addressed audiences at conferences and events produced for a range of audiences – business conferences, non-profit and awards events, and academic audiences (as keynote, moderator, or host):
- U.S. Naval Academy,
- Small Business Administration,
- National Institutes of Health
- Executive Women in Governmetn
- Women in Public Policy
- Zonta International (world's oldest women's professional organization)
- SXSW Eco, Nat. Council for Science and the Environment, CalSTART, HTUF
- VERGE conferences produced by Greenbiz, including anchoring the livestream of a 3-day conference
- Ignite! Conference on Transforming Your Business Through Creativity,
- National Assn of Women Business Owners
- Universities and chambers and business groups
- One of the top six podcasts by USA Today, especially for business travelers
- Nominated for the prestigious White House Champion of Change Award
- A finalist for the prestigious C3E Award for women in clean energy,
- Earned industry awards from the Broadcasters Association, the International Association of Business Communicators, the American Marketing Association, and the Public Relations Society of America,
- EMMY-nominated story on “60 Minutes”
Marketing, Communications and Media accomplishments include:
- “Best year ever” growth at the then-12-year old Chrysler’s Global Electric Motorcars (GEM) through creative, strategic and integrated media and marketing strategies, which helped boost adoption of electric vehicles.
- Earning coverage on Page One of The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post, features in Time magazine, "The Today Show," Consumer Reports, and The LA Times, on CNN Money, CBS, and the top pick on Yahoo! and Google.
- U.S. Department of Energy and the Clean Energy Alliance
- Earth Day Network, Global Environment Fund, and global environmental consulting firm Marstel-Day.
- Articles in TheAtlantic.com, The Washington Post, The New Economy, and Life & Style magazine, and a column on leadership for a regional business journal.
- Book excerpts on innovation and networking in Flat World Navigation, by Kim McDonald Chandler (Kogan Press, 2015); and one on women in government leadership in the book If Women Ruled the World (Inner Ocean Publishing, 2005), and has a business book coming out in 2016.
Bachelor of Arts in English from UCLA, a Master of Business Administration from Bernard M. Baruch College, City University of New York in the executive program, and various post-graduate studies - including in leadership at Harvard Business School and The Aspen Institute - round out Michelson's portrait.
As a unique aside, Joan Michelson is a descendant of three prominent siblings: Albert A. Michelson was the first American scientist to win the Nobel Prize (physics, 1907), Charles Michelson was FDR's White House Communications Director/Press Secretary; and Miriam Michelson literally kept the women’s suffrage movement on the front page, as a reporter for the San Francisco Call and the Philadelphia Inquirer and one of the foremost interviewers of Susan B. Anthony.
VIDEO LINKS: There are lots of video and audio links, and a full bio on her website: www.greenconnectionsradio.com
Huffington Post: www.huffingtonpost.com/joan-michelson
How to "Do" Corporate Responsibility Right
Branding Your Business as Green, Reaching the Eco-Conscious - Find out how to seize opportunities in the green economy, the hottest growth industry.
Innovation and Women - How having more women at the table drives and speeds innovation success and saves resources.
Being Heard in the Noise - Find out how Joan landed Chrysler's "green" car on the front page of The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post, on "The Today Show" and a "top pick" on Yahoo! - and how you can too. Communications and career advancement in the new media landscape (especially for women).
Reaching Your Top Market: Women - Why should you be marketing to women - no matter what business you're in? And how do you do it well? Also, how to recruit and promote more women.
VIDEO LINKS: For video and audio links, please visit www.greenconnectionsradio.com (please note that a brand new redesigned website will launch soon)
Huffington Post: www.huffingtonpost.com/joan-michelson
Joan Bryna Michelson
T/C: +1.702.806.3690, based in Washington, DC metro area (out-of-area cell)